Few things will make you feel more confident than having a sparkling white smile, especially during the holiday season! Teeth whitening has been a popular cosmetic procedure over the years. It has become so popular that you can easily find at-home teeth whitening tips online. However, not all these tips are accurate or effective, and it is essential to distinguish which tips are which. We are here to help you! In this blog, we debunk common teeth whitening myths and provide you with ways to make your whitening experience as effective as possible. Let’s get your smile sparkling for the holidays!
Having a diverse mix of opinions is generally a positive thing. However, this is not always the case for factual information, such as how to most effectively whiten your teeth. There are many common misconceptions about teeth whitening, and here are just a few of the most prevalent:
- Over-the-counter whitening options work just as well. While these options can make your teeth look a little brighter, they will not give you the same results as whitening with a professional will. Professional whitening is safe, effective, and worth the time and money!
- At-Home Teeth whitening will remove all of your stains. Depending on what types of stains are on your teeth, this may not be true. Certain people are more prone to long-lasting stains on their teeth, such as smokers and coffee drinkers. In addition to this, our teeth tend to yellow as we get older, which will, in turn, make them more difficult to whiten.
- Whitening toothpaste works well. Many household name companies sell toothpaste that is advertised as a whitening product. There are two main reasons why you should not use whitening toothpaste as your primary brightening technique. The first is that the chemicals that whiten your teeth need to be in contact with them for an extended period to work, not just the couple minutes it takes you to brush your teeth. The second reason is self-explanatory: whitening toothpaste costs more than regular toothpaste!
- Baking soda is an effective DIY whitening method. An extremely common way people try to whiten their teeth at home is by brushing them with baking soda. Many people don’t know that baking soda can mess with the balance of bacteria in your mouth. This can eventually lead to oral health issues.
You may now be remembering a time or two when you brushed with baking soda or used Crest Whitestrips and didn’t get the results you wanted. That is okay! We have all been there, and luckily there are safe, effective ways to get your smile to shine bright. While it may seem as if there aren’t any good alternatives to the debunked myths above, we have some encouraging ones to share with you!
- Professional whitening will last longer than over-the-counter options. This is one of the many reasons professional or dentist-approved take-home whitening treatments are the best options. You will get more for your money and your teeth will dazzle for even longer!
- You cannot whiten an implant or crown. There are many ways around this! If you consider having your teeth whitened but are about to get an implant, try whitening them before the implant is put in.
- Good oral hygiene will prolong the effects of my whitening treatment. Your results will last longer if you stay on top of your oral hygiene! This includes brushing, flossing, using mouthwash, and going to your dentist every six months for a routine cleaning!
- You can whiten your teeth at home! Most dental offices, including ours, offer take-home whitening kits. These kits are much more effective than drugstore whitening options and just as easy to use!
At Groesbeck Family Dental, we want to provide you with all the information to help you make your oral health decisions as easy as possible. We hope this myth-busting session was able to do just that! If you’re interested in getting your teeth whitened, you’re in luck! We offer take-home whitening. You can call us today at (254) 729-8400 if you have any questions about our whitening or would like to schedule an appointment. We want to give you a smile that will impress for the holiday season! Learn to have a pain-free wisdom teeth recovery from reading this post.